- Ebaugh, Helen Rose Fuchs, and Sharon Vaughn. 1984. "Ideology and recruitment
in religious groups." Review of Religious Research. 26: 148-157.
- Echevarria-Howe, Lynn. 1992. "Life History as Process and Product: The Social
Construction of Self Through Feminist Methodologies and Canadian Black
Experience." M.A. thesis, Department of Sociology, Carleton University, Ottawa.
- ----. 1995. "Working Through the Vision: Memories of Bahá'ís,
1938-1994." Presented to the 25th Annual Study Conference of the Oral History
Society. University of Western England.
- ----. 1995. "Reflections from the Participants: The Process and Product of
Life-History Work." Oral History. (Autumn): 40-45.
- ----. 1996. "Narrating a Bahá'í Symbol: Life Stories and the
Communication of Experience." Presented at the 26th Annual Study Conference of
the Oral History Society, Sweden.
- ----. In progress. "Working Through the Vision: Religion and Identity in the
Life Histories of Bahá'í Women in Canada." Ph.D. research funded
by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Essex, England.
Department of Sociology, University of Essex.
- Hassall, Graham. 1988. "Religion and State-Formation in Melanesia: 1945 to
Independence." Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Pacific and South East Asian
History, Australian Natiional University.
- ----. 1991. "'Outpost of a World Religion': The Bahá'í Faith in
Australia, 1920-47." The Journal of Religious History. 16 (3): 315-338.
- Kerschbaumer, Mandana Fatimah. 1993. "Persecution, Exile, and Integration of
a Religious Minority: The Integration of Iranian Bahá'í Refugees
in Swiss Exile. Verfolgung, Exil und Integration einer religiosen Minderheit:
Die Integration iranischer Bahá'í-Fluchtlinge im schweizerische
Exil." Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Vienna.
- McMullen, Mike. 1995. "Creating a Global Identity: Empirical Evidence from
the Bahá'í Faith." Presented at the Annual Meetings of the
American Sociological Association. New York. 16-20 August. 27pp.
- ----. 1995. "Teaching the 'Cause of God': Empirical Evidence of Evangelism
from the Bahá'í Faith." Presented to the Bahá'í
Studies Colloquy: American Academy of Religion. 23-26 Nov. 31pp.
- ____. 1995. "The Bahá'í Faith in Atlanta: On the Religious
Construction of a Global Identity (Georgia), Ph.D. Dissertation, Enory U.
- ----. 1995. "The Atlanta Bahá'í Community and Race Unity: 1909-50." World
- ----. 1997. "The Religious Construction of a Global Identity: An Ethnographic
Look at the Atlanta Bahá'í Community." In Penny Edgell Becker
and Nancy L. Eiesland, eds. Contemporary American Religion: An Ethnographic
Reader. Walnut Creek, CA: Altamira Press: 221-243.
- ----.Forthcoming. The Atlanta Bahá'í Community: On
the Religious Construction of a Global Identity. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers
- Perry, Mark*. 1986 "History of the Chicago Bahá'í Community,
1921-1939." Ph.D. Dissertation. Department of Sociology, University of Chicago.
- Piff, David. 1997. "The Book of Hearsay: Informal Oral Lore in the
Bahá'í Community." Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Sociology of
Religion, University of Copenhagen. (Supervisor: Dr. Margit Warburg).
- Piff, David, and Margit Warburg. 1998. "Enemies of the Faith: Rumours and
Anecdotes as Self-Definition and Social Control in the Bahá'í
Religion." In Eileen Barker and Margit Warburg, eds. New Religions and New
Religiosity. Aarhus, Denmark: Aarhus University Press: 66-82.
- Prosterman, Annette. 1998. "Creating a Participatory Social Movement
Community: the Bahá'ís of Evanston, Illinois." Ph.D.
Dissertation, Loyola U. of Chicago.
- Saint-Blancat, C. 1989. "Nation et religion chez les immigrés iraniens
en Italie." Arch. Sc. soc. des Religions. 68 (1): 27-37.
- Smith, Peter. ----. 1987. The Babí and Bahá'í
Religions: From Messianic Shi'ism to a World Religion. Cambridge: Cambridge
- Smith, Peter, and Moojan Momen*. 1989. "The Bahá'í Faith,
1957-1988: A Survey of Contemporary Developments." Religion. (19):
62-91. van den Hoonaard, Will C.
- ----. 1989. "Socio-demographic characteristics of the Canadian
Bahá'í Community." A Paper presented to the Canadian Sociology
and Anthropology Association Meetings, Laval. June.
- ----. 1990. "Canada's Earliest Bahá'í History." World
Order. 22 (1-2): 39-49 [Fall 1987/Winter 1988]
- ----. 1990. "An Annotated Index of the United States European Teaching
Committee] Minutes: Sources for the Study of European Bahá'í
History." 3617 records (equiv. to 322 pp) (with Sandra Lonergan).
- ----. 1990. "An Annotated Index of the United States Inter-America Committee
Minutes and Correspondence: Source Materials for Bahá'í Studies.
4555 records (equiv. to 462 pp) (with Sandra Lonergan)
- ----. 1991. "An Annotated Index of the United States Africa Teaching
Committee Minutes and Correspondence: Bahá'í History in 25
African Countries, 1953-1964." 3547 records.
- ----. 1992. "The Bahá'ís in Atlantic Canada: A Retrospective on
a New Religious Movement." Conference on the History of Religion in Atlantic
Canada, Department of History, University of New Brunswick, Saint John, New
Brunswick, 2-4 Oct.
- ----. 1992. "Development and Decline of an Early Canadian
Bahá'í Community: Saint John, New Brunswick, 1910-25." in Richard
Hollinger, ed. Studies in Bábí and Bahá'í
Religions, V. 7: Community Histories. Los Angeles. Kalimat Press: 217-39.
- ----. 1994. "The Question of Gender in Canadian Bahá'í
History." Conference on the History and Development of the North American
Bahá'í Community." Organized by the Research and Archives Offices
of the American Bahá'í Community. Wilmette, Ill. 3-5 June.
- ----. 1994. "Chaos as Metaphor for the Study of the Postmodern World: A
Bahá'í Approach." Annual Meetings of the Canadian Sociology and
Anthropology Association, Calgary, 10-13 June (with William Hackborn).
- ----. 1996. "The Bahá'ís in Canada: A Study in the
Transplantation of non-Western religious movements to Western societies."
ARC: The Journal of the Faculty of Religious Studies. McGill University.
- ----. 1996. The Origins of the Bahá'í Community of Canada,
1898-1948. Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier University Press.
- ----. 1997. "Personal Religious Singleness as a Factor in Spreading New
Religious Movements." Conference of the International Society for the Sociology
of Religion." University of Toulouse-le-Mirail, Toulouse, France. July.
- ---- and Lynn Echevarria-Howe. Forthcoming. "Black Roses in Canada's Mosaic:
Three Decades of Canadian Black History." in Black North American
Bahá'ís: The First Generation, 1893-1950, edited by Richard
Thomas. Wilmette, Ill.: Bahá'í Publishing Trust.
- ---- and Deborah K. van den Hoonaard. 1998. Exploring Near to-the-Heart
Issues: The Equality of Women and Men in the Canadian Bahá'í
Communnity. In-progress research commissioned by the National Spiritual
Assembly of the Bahá'ís of Canada. Vaughn, Sharron Lee. 1980. "A
Comparative Study of a Conversion and Commitment
- Process in Religious Groups." M.A. Thesis. University of Houston.
- Vaughn, Sharron Lee and Helen Rose Ebaugh. 1981. "The Process of Recruitment
to Social Movements: A Comparison of Converts and Second Generation Members."
Paper presented at the Southwestern Social Science Association Meetings,
Dallas. March. 19pp.
- Ward, Allan Lucius (ex*). 1960. "An Historical Study of the North American
Speaking Tour of 'Abdu'l-Bahá and a Rhetorical Analysis of his
Addresses." Ph.D. Dissertation, Ohio U.
- ----. 1979. 239 Days: Abdu'l-Bahá's Journey in America.
Bahá'í Publishing Trust. Wilmette, Ill.
- Warburg, Margit. ----. 1990. "Units of
Analysis and the Study of Religious Minorities." A paper presented to the
International Association for the History of Religions. Rome. 3-9 September.
- ----. 1990. "Conversion: Considerations before a Fieldwork in a
Bahá'í Village in Kerala." in A. Parpola and B. Smidt Hansen,
eds. South Asian Religion and Society. Scandinavian Inst. of Asian
Studies. Studies on Asian Topics No. 11. Curzon Press. London: 223-235.
- ----. 1991. "The Circle, the Brotherhood, and the Ecclesiastical Body:
Bahá'í in Denmark, 1925-1987." in Armin W. Geertz and Jeppe
Sinding Jensen, eds. Religion, Tradition, and Renewal. Aarhus University
Press. Aarhus: 201-221.
- ----. 1992. "Denmark." Bahá'í Encyclopedia. Wilmette,
Ill.: Bahá'í Publishing Trust Forthcoming.
- ----. 1992. "Citizens of the World: Power, Organization, and Identity-Making
in the Bahá'í Religion." Presented at the Annual Meeting of the
Society for the Scientific Study of Religion. Washington, D.C. 6-8 Nov. 28pp.
- ----. 1993. "Economic Rituals: The Structure and Meaning of Donations in the
Bahá'í Religion." Social Compass 40 (1) (March): 25-31.
- ----. 1993. "The Religious Metropolis: The Bahá'í World Centre
in Israel." Presented at Religion Forum, Committee on the Study of Religion.
Harvard University. 30 Nov. (also presented at the International Society for
the Sociology of Religion, 19-23 July 1993). 18pp.
- ----. 1993. "An Old, New Religion in Europe: Growth and Development of
Bahá'í in Western Europe." Presented at the Conference, New
Religions and the New Europe." London School of Economics, 25-28 March. 14pp.
- ----. 1994. "Restrictions and Privileges: The Legal and Administrative
Practice Towards Minority Religions in the USA and Denmark." Presented at the
RENNORD 94 Conference on New Religions and New Religiosity, 22-25 Aug. 13pp.
- ----. 1995. "Growth Patterns of New Religions: The Case of
Bahá'í." in Robert Towler, ed. New Religions and the New
Europe. Aarhus University Press. Aarhus: 177-192.
- ----. 1995. "Globalization and the Bahá'í World Centre."
Presented at the Department of Sociology, University of Exeter. 25 Jan. 20pp.
- ----. 1995. "A Multi-Dimensional Approach to Religious Self-Definition in the
Bahá'í Community." Presented at the International Conference of
Sociology and Religion. Quebec, 26-30 June. 15pp.
- ----. 1995. "Religious Definitions and Religious Polemics:
Bahá'í in Popular Handbooks of Religion." Presented at a
Conference on Anti-Bahá'í Polemic, Religious Studies Department.
University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. 8-10 Dec. 18pp.
- ----. "Religious Innovation in Denmark: The Establishment and Growth of the
Danish Bahá'í Community, 1925-1987." in Peter Smith, ed.
Bahá'ís in the West. Studies in Babi and Bahá'í
History. 8. Kalimat. Los Angeles. 58pp.
- ----. and David Piff. n.d. "Restrictions and Privileges: The Legal and
Administrative Practice Towards Minority Religions in the USA and Denmark." In
Eileen Barker and Margit Warburg. eds. New Religions and New
Religiosity. [few pp. on Bahá'í Faith]
- ---- and David Piff. n.d. "Enemies of the Faith: Rumours and Anecdotes as
Self-Definition in the Bahá'í Religion." in Eileen Barker and
Margit Warburg, eds. New Religions and New Religiosity. 15pp.
- White, W. L. 1993. "Binding together: Guaymi resistance and construction of
religious identity through the Bahá'í Faith." M.A., UCLA. vii, 71 leaves
- Wyman, June R. 1985. "Becoming a Bahá'í: Discourse and Social
Networks in an American Religious Movement." Department of Anthropology,
Catholic University, Washington, D.C. 205pp. [DIA # DA8526959]
- Yeo Hock Choon. 1980-81. "The Bahá'í Community: A Study of Identity
Consolidation, with Special Focus on Witnessing." B.A., University of
Singapore. iii, 75 p.
- Zaerpoor, Mahyad*. 1981. "Educational Implications of Bahá'í
Philosophy with a Special Consideration of the Concept of Unity." Ph.D.
Dissertation. University of Southern California. (Chairman: Professor
- Zahrai, Riis Annette. 1986. "Evolution of the Bahá'í Faith in
the United States since 1960." M.A. Thesis. Department of Contemporary North
American Civilization. Paris University, Paris.
Sociological or Anthropological Works That Make
Reference to the Bahá'í Community
- Binder, Louis R. 1933. Modern Religious Cults and Society: A Sociological
Interpretation of a Modern Religious Phenomenon. Boston: no publ.: 46.
(publ. also in 1970 by New York: AMS Press) Bird, Frederick and Bill Reimer.
1976. "New Religious and Para-Religious Movements in Montreal." in Stewart
Crysdale and Les Wheatcroft, ed. Religion in Canadian Society. Toronto:
- ----. 1977. "A Comparative Analysis of the Rituals Used by Some Contemporary
'New' Religious and Para-Religious Movements." in Peter Slater, ed. Religion
and Culture and Canada. Cdn. Corp. for Studies in Religion. Waterloo, ON:
447-469 (mention on p. 456).
- ----. 1982. "Participation Rates in New Religious and Para-Religious
Movements." J. for the Scientific Study of Religion. 21 (1): 1-14.
(mention on p. 2,3, 5, 6, 9)
- Burgess, J. Stewart. 1944. "The Study of Modern Social Movements as a Means
for Clarifying the Process of Social Action." Social Forces. 22: 269-275
(mention on p. 272).
- Campbell, Colin. 1971. Toward a Sociology of Religion. Macmillan.
London: 42. Dobbelaere, Karel and Michel Voisin. 1986. "Sects and New Religious
Movements in Belgium: Sekten en nieuwe religieuze bewegingen in Belgie."
Tijdschrift voor sociologie. 7 (1-2): 395-437.
- Easterman, Daniel. 1992. New Jerusalems: Reflections on Islam,
fundamentalism amd the Rushdie Affair. Grafton. London. (mention on pp.
- Firth, Raymond. 1984. Essays on Social Organization and Values.
Athlone Press. London : 278-283. (mention on p.278).
- Friedl, Erika. 19??. Women of Deh Koh. Geertz, Clifford. 1973. The
Interpretation of Cultures. Basic. N.Y. (mention on p. 181).
- Hawthorne. H.B., ed. 1967. A Survey of the Contemporary Indians of
Canada. Indian Affairs Branch. Ottawa: Vol. 2: 60-62.
- Hoult, Thomas Ford. 1958. The Sociology of Religion. Holt, Rinehart,
& Winston. N.Y. (mention on pp. 9, 128, 129).
- Jacobs, Janet. 1984. "The Economy of Love in Religious Commitment: The
Deconversion of Women from Non-Traditional Religious Movements." Journal for
the Scientific Study of Religion. 23 (2): 155-71 [mention on pp. 159, 165]
- Johnston, Ronald L. 1975. Religion and Society in Interaction: The
Sociology of Religion. Prentice-Hall. Englewood Cliffs, NJ. (mention on pp.
- Millett, David. 1969. "A Typology of Religious Organizations Suggested by the
Canadian Census." Sociological Analysis.: 108-119.
- Malicky, Neal. 1968. "Religious Groups at the United Nations." Ph.D.
dissertation. Columbia University, New York.
- Nock, David A. 1987. "Cult, sect, and church in Canada: A re-examination of
Stark and Bainbridge." Canadian Rev. of Sociology and Anthropology. Vol.
24 (n. 4): 514-25. [Refers to Bahá'i membership in Canada].
- Nottingham, Elizabeth. 1971. Religion: A Sociological View. Random
House. New York. (mention on pp. 236-7).
- Parrat, J.K. 1970. "Religious Change in Port Moresby." Oceania. Dec.:
106-113 [mention on pp. 111-113] Salisbury, W. Seward. 1964. Religion in
American Culture: A Sociological Interpretation. Homewood, Ill.: Dorsey:
- Stark, Rodney, William S. Bainbridge, and Lor Kent. 1981. "Cult Membership in
the Roaring Twenties: Assessing Local Receptivity." Sociological
Analysis. 42 (2): 137-162. [mention on pp. 140, 145, 155]
- ----. 1981. "Secularization and Cult Formation in the Jazz Age." Journal
for the Scientific Study of Religion. 20 (4): 350-73 [mention on pp. 364,
- ----. 1985. The Future of Religion: Secularization, Revival, and Cult
Formation. University of California Press. Berkeley. (mention on pp. 48,
190, 214, 238, 241-2, 244-5, 257, 445, 451, 464, Tables 11.1 and 11.2).
- Talmon, Yonina. 1966. "Millenarian Movements." Archives Européennes
de sociologie. 7 (2): 159-200 (mention on p. 172).
- Tönnies, Ferdinand. 1911. [F. Tönnies was one of the organizers of
the First Universal Races Congress (London, 26-29 July 1911) at which a paper
by 'Abdu'l-Bahá was read on the subject, "The Bahá'í
Revelation." Star of the West. (5 June) 2 (5): 2.
- Wach, Joachim. 1946 [repr. in 1971]. The Sociology of Religion.
Chicago U.P. Chicago: 132, 138, 149, 201, 342.
- Ward, Lester A. 1928. The Bahá'í World: A Biennial
International Record. 2 (April 1926- April 1928): 152 [has reference to
Ward's attending Green Acre Bahá'í School]
- Watt, W. Montgomery. 1963. Truth in the Religions: A Sociological and
Psychological Approach. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press: 11, 76, 162.
- Wilson, Allan?. 1932. [still to research] (mention on. p. 50).
- Wuthnow, Robert. 1997. "Conclusion [check title]" In Penny Edgell Becker and
Nancy L. Eiesland, eds. Contemporary American Religion: An Ethnographic
Reader. Walnut Creek, CA: Altamira Press: [pp?]
Bahá'í Journals Which Carry Relevant Articles
(many of which are online here)
- Abha: A Journal of Babi-Bahá'í Studies. Hurqalya
Publications. Newcastle-upon-Tyne. V.1- (1997-)
- Bahá'í Studies Bulletin. Association for
Bahá'í Studies-English Language Section.
- Bahá'í Studies Review. Association for
Bahá'í Studies-English Language Section. London.
- Journal of Bahá'í Studies. Association for
Bahá'í Studies. Ottawa. ON. V. 1- (1988-)
- World Order. Bahá'í Publishing Trust. Wilmette, Ill. V.
Holy-Writings.com v2.7 (213613) © 2005 - 2015 Emanuel V. Towfigh
& Peter Hoerster | Imprint
| Change Interface Language: