BE THOU ASSURED
"Bury your fears in the assurances of Baha'u'llah."
Universal House of Justice, Ridvan 152
A Compilation from the Baha'i Writings prepared byÂ
the Continental Board of Counsellors in the Americas
Â© 1996 by the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of Canada
Excerpts from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, 'Abdu'l-Baha, Shoghi Effendi and letters from the Universal House of Justice.
1. "Even or odd, thou shalt win the wager." The friends of God shall win and profit under all conditions, and shall attain true wealth. In fire they remain cold, and from water they emerge dry. Their affairs are at variance with the affairs of men. Gain is their lot, whatever the deal. To this testifieth every wise one with a discerning eye, and every fair-minded one with a hearing ear.
âBaha'u'llah: Crisis and Victory, page 154
2. "Say: Beware, 0 people of Baha, lest the strong ones of the earth rob you of your strength, or they who rule the world fill you with fear. Put your trust in God, and commit your affairs to His keeping. He, verily, will, through the power of truth, render you victorious, and He verily, is powerful to do what He willeth, and in His grasp are the reins of omnipotent might." "I swear by My life! Nothing save that which profiteth them can befall My loved ones. To this testifieth the Pen of God, the Most Powerful, the All-Glorious, the Best Beloved."
"Let not the happenings of the world sadden you."
âBaha'u'llah: quoted by Shoghi Effendi:Â
The Advent of Divine Justice, page 82
3. If, however, for a few days, in compliance with God's all-encompassing wisdom, outward affairs should run their course contrary to one's cherished desire, this is of no consequence and should not matter. Our intent is that all the friends should fix their gaze on the Supreme Horizon, and cling to that which hath been revealed in the Tablets.
âBaha'u'llah: Crisis and Victory, page 171
4. The source of courage and power is the promotion of the Word of God, and steadfastness in His Love.
âBaha'u'llah: Tablets of Baha'u'llah, page 156
5. Such is My plight, wert thou to ponder it in thine heart. Let not, however, thy soul grieve over that which God hath rained down upon Us. Merge thy will in His pleasure, for We have, at no time, desired anything whatsoever except His Will, and have welcomed each one of His irrevocable decrees. Let thine heart be patient, and be thou not dismayed. Follow not in the way of them that are sorely agitated.
âBaha'u'llah: Gleanings, page 120
6. Put your whole trust and confidence in God, Who hath created you, and seek ye His help in all your affairs. Succour cometh from Him alone. He succoureth whom He willeth with the hosts of the heavens and of the earth.
âBaha'u'llah: Proclamation of Baha'u'llah page 9
7. Arise to further My Cause, and to exalt My Word amongst men. We are with you at all times, and shall strengthen you through the power of truth. We are truly almighty. Whoso hath recognized Me will arise and serve Me with such determination that the powers of earth and heaven shall be unable to defeat his purpose.
âBaha'u'llah: The Kitab-i-Aqdas, pages 32-33
8. He that summoneth men in My name is, verily, of Me, and he will show forth that which is beyond the power of all that are on earth.
âBaha'u'llah: Tablets of Baha'u'llah, page 13
9. Should any one arise for the triumph of our Cause, him will God render victorious though tens of thousands of enemies be leagued against him. And if his love for Me wax stronger, God will establish his ascendancy over all the powers of earth and heaven. Thus have We breathed the spirit of power into all regions."
âBaha'u'llah, quoted by Shoghi Effendi:Â
World Order of Baha'u'llah, page 106
10. God will, no doubt, inspire whosoever detacheth himself from all else but Him, and will cause the pure waters of wisdom and utterance to gush out and flow copiously from his heart.Â
âBaha'u'llah: Gleanings, page 314
11. Forget yourself. God's help will surely come! When you call on the Mercy of God waiting to reinforce you, your strength will be tenfold.
â'Abdu'l-Baha Paris Talks, pages 38-39
12. You shall in truth become the lighted torches of the globe. Fear not, neither be dismayed, for your light shall penetrate the densest darkness. This is the Promise of God, which I give unto you. Rise! and serve the Power of God!
â'Abdu'l-Baha: Paris Talks, page 168
13. Be ye assured with the greatest assurance that, verily, God will help those who are firm in His Covenant in every matter, through His confirmation and favor, the lights of which will shine forth unto the east of the earth, as well as the west thereof. He will make them the signs of guidance among the creation and as shining and glittering stars from all horizons.
â'Abdu'l-Baha: Tablets of 'Abdu'l-Baha, page 83
14. 0 army of God! When calamity striketh, be ye patient and composed. However afflictive your sufferings may be, stay ye undisturbed, and with perfect confidence in the abounding grace of God, brave ye the tempest of tribulations and fiery ordeals.
â'Abdu'l-Baha: Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha, page 74
15. Walk, therefore, with a sure step and engage with the utmost assurance and confidence in the promulgation of the divine fragrances, the glorification of the Word of God and firmness in the Covenant. Rest ye assured that if a soul ariseth in the utmost perseverance and raiseth the Call of the Kingdom and resolutely promulgateth the Covenant, be he an insignificant ant he shall be enabled to drive away the formidable elephant from the arena, and if he be a feeble moth he shall cut to pieces the plumage of the rapacious vulture. Endeavour, therefore, that ye may scatter and disperse the army of doubt and of error with the power of the holy utterances.
â'Abdu'l-Baha: Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha,Â
16. 0 ye loved ones of God! Be ye firm of foot, and fixed of heart, and through the power of the Blessed Beauty's help, stand ye committed to your purpose. Serve ye the Cause of God. Face ye all nations of the world with the constancy and the endurance of the people of Baha, that all men may be astounded and ask how this could be, that your hearts are as well-springs of confidence and faith, and as mines so rich in the love of God. Be ye so, that ye shall neither fail nor falter on account of these tragedies in the Holy Land; let not these dread events make you despondent. And if all the believers be put to the sword, and only one be left, let that one cry out in the name of the Lord and tell the joyous tidings; let that one rise up and confront all the peoples of the earth.
â'Abdu'l-Baha: Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha;Â
17. There is no refuge in the world today except the Cause of Baha'u'llah. The believers must rest assured that, having the Faith, they have everything. They must place their lives in the Hand of God, and, confident of His mercy and protection, go on teaching the Cause and serving it, no matter what happens.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of India, Dawn of a New Day, page 191
18. Perhaps the reason why you have not accomplished so much in the field of teaching is the extent you looked upon your own weaknesses and inabilities to spread the message. Baha'u'llah and the Master have both urged us repeatedly to disregard our own handicaps and lay our whole reliance upon God. He will come to our help if we only arise and become an active channel for God's grace. Do you think it is the teachers who make converts and change human hearts? No, surely not. They are only pure souls who take the first step, and then let the spirit of Baha'u'llah move them and make use of them. If any one of them should even for a second consider his achievements as due to his own capacities, his work is ended and his fall starts. This is in fact the reason why so many competent souls have after wonderful services suddenly found themselves absolutely impotent and perhaps thrown aside by the Spirit of the Cause as useless souls. The criterion is the extent to which we are ready to have the will of God operate through us.
Stop being conscious of your frailties, therefore; have a perfect reliance upon God; let your heart burn with the desire to serve His mission and proclaim His call; and you will observe how eloquence and the power to change human hearts will come as a matter of course.
Shoghi Effendi will surely pray for your success if you should arise and start to teach. In fact the mere act of arising will win for you God's help and blessings.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 31 March 1932 to an individual believer; The Power of Divine Assistance, page 20, also in Compilation of Compilations, pages 219-220
19. You should never look at your own limitations, much less allow them to deter you from promoting the Message. For the believers, whether capable or not, whether poor or rich, and whether influential or obscure, are after all but more channels through which God carries His message to mankind. They are instruments, whereby He communicates His will to His people. The friends, therefore, must cease looking at their own deficiencies in a way that would kill in them the spirit of initiative and of service. They should have confidence in the divine assistance promised to them by Baha'u'llah, and strengthened and revived by such an assurance they should continue to toil till the very end of their life.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 18 March 1934 to an individual believer; The Power of Divine Assistance, page 20, also in Compilation of Compilations, Volume 2 page 220
20. The harder you strive to attain your goal, the greater will be the confirmations of Baha'u'llah, and the more certain you can feel to attain success. Be cheerful, therefore, and exert yourself with full faith and confidence. For Baha'u'llah has promised His Divine assistance to everyone who arises with a pure and detached heart to spread His holy Word, even though he may be bereft of every human knowledge and capacity, and notwithstanding the forces of darkness and of opposition which may be arrayed against him. The goal is clear, the path safe and certain, and the assurances of Baha'u'llah as to the eventual success of our efforts quite emphatic. Let us keep firm, and whole-heartedly carry on the great work which He has entrusted into our hands.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 3 February 1937 to an individual believer; The Power of Divine Assistance page 21, also in Compilation of Compilations Volume 2 pages 220-221
21. The Baha'i teacher must be all confidence. Therein lies his strength and the secret of his success. Though singlehanded, and no matter how great the apathy of the people around you may be, you should have faith that the hosts of the Kingdom are on your side, and that through their help you are bound to overcome the forces of darkness that are facing the Cause of God. Persevere, be happy and confident, therefore.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 30 June 1937 to an individual believer; The Power of Divine Assistance page 21, also in Compilation of Compilations, Volume 2, pages 221
22 ....he would advise you to persevere in the task you have set your heart to accomplish, confident that through Divine assistance you will be able, sooner or later, to attain your goal. Reliance on God is indeed the strongest and safest weapon which the Baha'i teacher can carry. For by its means no earthly power can remain unconquered, and no obstacle become insuperable.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 27 March 1938 to an individual believer; The Power of Divine Assistance page 21, Compilation of Compilations, Volume 2 pages 221
23. Smallness of numbers, lack of skilled teachers, and modesty of means should not discourage or deter them. They must remember the glorious history of the Cause, which, both in East and West, was established by dedicated souls who, for the most part, were neither rich, famous, nor well educated, but whose devotion, zeal and self-sacrifice overcame every obstacle and won miraculous victories for the Faith of God. Such spiritual victories can now be won for India and Burma by the friends. Let them dedicate themselves - young and old, men and women alike - and go forth and settle in new districts, travel, and teach in spite of lack of experience, and be assured that Baha'u'llah has promised to aid all those who arise in His Name. His strength will sustain them; their own weakness is unimportant.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 29 June 1941 to the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha 'is of India, Dawn of a New Day, page 89
24. Baha'u'llah has said that God will assist all those who arise in His service. The more you labour for His Faith, the more He will aid and bless you.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 23 November 1941 to the Baha 'is of Quito, Ecuador; The Power of Divine Assistance page 22, also in Compilation of Compilations, Volume 2, page 222
25. If the friends always waited until they were fully qualified to do any particular task, the work of the Cause would be almost at a standstill! But the very act of striving to serve, however unworthy one may feel, attracts the blessings of God and enables one to become more fitted for the task.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 4 May 1942 to an individual believer; The Power of Divine Assistance, page 22, also in Compilation of Compilations, Volume 2 page 222
26. When once a few bold, self-sacrificing individuals have arisen to serve, their example will no doubt encourage other timid would-be pioneers to follow in their footsteps. The history of our Faith is full of records of the remarkable things achieved by really very simple, insignificant individuals, who became veritable beacons and towers of strength through having placed their trust in God, having arisen to proclaim His Message.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 27 March 1945 to the National Spiritual Assembly of the British Isles, Unfolding Destiny, pages 172-173
27. Once the friends start out to win the goals set in their Plan, they will find the Divine confirmation sustaining them and hastening its consummation.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 9 August 1945 to the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of the British Isles, Unfolding Destiny, pages 177-178
28. It shows that wherever and whenever the friends arise to serve, the mysterious power latent in this Divine Cause rushes in to bless and reinforce their labours far beyond their fondest hopes.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi dated 18 February 1947 to an individual believer; Unfolding Destiny, page 446
29. Each one of us, if we look into our failures, is sure to feel unworthy and despondent, and this feeling only frustrates our constructive efforts and wastes time. The thing for us to focus on is the glory of the Cause and the Power of Baha'u'llah which can make of a mere drop a surging sea!
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi dated 13 October 1947 to an individual believer; The Power of Divine Assistance page 23, also in Compilation of Compilations, Volume 2 page 222
30 ....when we put our trust in Him, Baha'u'llah solves our problems and opens the way.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer dated 12 October 1949, The Power of Divine Assistance, page 23 also in Compilation of Compilations Volume 2, page 223
31. Just one mature soul, with spiritual understanding and a profound knowledge of the Faith, can set a whole country ablaze - so great is the power of the Cause to work through a pure and selfless channel.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believe,; dated 6 November 1949 The Power of Divine Assistance page 23, also in Compilation of Compilations Volume 2, page 223
32. At all times we must look at the greatness of the Cause, and remember that Baha'u'llah will assist all who arise in His service. When we look at ourselves, we are sure to feel discouraged by our shortcomings and insignificance!
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 12 December 1950 to an individual believer, The Power of Divine Assistance page 23, also in Compilation of Compilations Volume 2, page 223
33. Today, as never before, the magnet which attracts the blessings from on high is teaching the Faith of God. The Hosts of Heaven are poised between heaven and earth, just waiting, and patiently, for the Baha'i to step forth, with pure devotion and consecration, to teach the Cause of God, so they may rush to his aid and assistance. It is the Guardian's prayer that the Friends may treble their efforts, as the time is short alas, the workers too few. Let those who wish to achieve immortality step forth and raise the Divine Call. They will be astonished at the spiritual victories they will gain.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 28 March 1953 to an individual believer, The Power of Divine Assistance page 23-24, also in Compilation of Compilations Volume 2, page 223
34. The Hosts of the Supreme Concourse are in martial array, poised between Earth and Heaven ready to rush to the assistance of those who arise to Teach the Faith. If one seeks the confirmation of the Holy Spirit, one can find it in rich abundance in the Teaching Field. The world is seeking as never before, and if the Friends will arise with new determination, fully consecrated to the noble task ahead of them, victory after victory will be won for the Glorious Faith of God.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 2 February 1956, to the Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of the Anchorage Recording District, The Power of Divine Assistance page 24, also in Compilation of Compilations Volume 2, page 223
35. The Friends must realize the Power of the Holy Spirit which is manifest and quickening them at this time through the appearance of Baha'u'llah. There is no force of heaven or earth which can affect them if they place themselves wholly under the influence of the Holy Spirit and under its guidance ....
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated August 1957 to an individual believer, The Power of Divine Assistance page 24, also in Compilation of Compilations Volume 2, pages 223-224
36. The Master assured us that when we forget ourselves, and strive with all our powers to serve and teach the Faith, we receive divine assistance. It is not we who do the work, but we are the instruments used at that time for the purpose of teaching His Cause.
âWritten on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated 18 November 1956 to an individual believer, The Individual and Teaching page 38, also in Compilation of Compilations Volume 2, page 324
37. The end of the century is fast approaching. There is so little time and so much to do. We call upon every follower of the Cause of Baha'u'llah to consecrate the utmost Endeavour to the two primary tasks of teaching the Faith to every thirsting soul, and providing the material means for the completion of the monumental projects being pursued on Mount Carmel. Whatever the outwards conditions of mankind in the year ahead, the Baha'i community must gather strength, demonstrate more clearly the distinguishing character of its way of life, reach out with confidence to proclaim and teach its message, and draw down in ever-greater measure the confirming assistance of the Hosts of the Supreme Concourse. In every aspect of this work, it is the individual Baha'i who holds the key to victory.
âUniversal House of Justice, Ridvan 151 (1994)
38. As a community clearly in the vanguard of the constructive forces at work on the planet, and as one which has access to proven knowledge, let us be about our Father's business. He will, from His glorious retreats on high, release liberal effusions of His grace upon our humble efforts, astonishing us with the incalculable victories of His conquering power. It is for the unceasing blessings of such a Father that we shall continue to supplicate on behalf of each and every one of you at the Sacred Threshold.
âUniversal House of Justice, Ridvan 147 (1990)
39 .... we urge you, with all earnestness from the utter depths of our conviction as to the ripeness of the time, to lay aside every minor concern and direct your energies to teaching His Cause - to proclaiming, expanding and consolidating it.
âUniversal House of Justice, Ridvan 145 (1988)
40. As we stride forward into the future we may be fully assured of His ever present bounty and the final victory of our efforts to establish His Kingdom in this troubled world.
âUniversal House of Justice, Ridvan 144 (1987)
41. Beloved Friends, the bounties and protection with which the Blessed Beauty is nurturing and sheltering the infant organism of His new world order through this violent period of transition and trial, give ample assurance of victories to come if we but follow the path of His guidance. He rewards our humble efforts with effusions of grace which bring not only advancement to the Cause but assurance and happiness to our hearts, so we may indeed look upon our neighbours with bright and shining faces, confident that our services now will eventuate that blissful future which our descendants will inherit, glorifying Baha'u'llah, the Prince of Peace, the Redeemer of Mankind.
âUniversal House of Justice Ridvan 141 (1984)
42. Dear friends, as the world passes through its darkest hour before the dawn, the Cause of God, shining ever more brightly, presses forward to that glorious break of day when the Divine Standard will be unfurled and the Nightingale of Paradise warble its melody.
âUniversal House of Justice, Ridvan 143 (1986)
43. Let no excessive self-criticism or any feelings of in adequacy, inability or inexperience hinder you or cause you to be afraid. Bury your fears in the assurances of Baha'u'llah. Has He not asserted that upon anyone who mentions His Name will descend the "hosts of Divine inspiration" and that on such a one will also descend the "Concourse on high, each bearing aloft a chalice of pure light"? Step forth, then, into the arena...
âUniversal House of Justice, Ridvan 152 (1995)
44. ...if the Baha'is will but do their partâhowever unpromising the prospectâBaha'u'llah is able to open doors and change conditions in ways far beyond our understanding.
The first is a greater realization of the power of Baha'u'llah to reinforce the efforts of those who serve Him, of His promise to do so, and of the impotence of all our deeds without this divine assistance. Any evaluation of a situation is entirely misleading if it does not take this supreme power into consideration whereas constant consciousness of dependence upon Him enables the Baha'is to formulate audacious plans and confidently carry them through to completion in the face of seemingly insuperable obstacles.
Armed with this consciousness, the believers should then approach the winning of the goals of the ...Plan with the spirit that will achieve them. This Plan is a stage in the unfoldment of the Divine Plan of 'Abdu'l-Baha. The achievement of its goals is of the utmost urgency and importance because the followers of Baha'u'llah are engaged in a race against time. Mankind is being engulfed in the ruin precipitated by its own folly; the longer we Baha'is delay in achieving the tasks that God lays before us, the greater is the suffering of our fellow men. Already in place after place the people are beginning to say: "We have been waiting and longing for this Message. Why have you been so long in coming to us?' The believers should consider the goals, recognize that they are intended to be won, decide what is needed to win them, and then, however hopeless the prospect may seem, set out determinedly to do whatever is needed, confident that Baha'u'llah will reinforce them with His Hosts and will open the doors of victory before them.
âFrom a letter of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of Germany, dated 11 January 1971
45. It is a time of rejoicing. The Sun of Baha'u'llah is mounting the heavens, bringing into ever clearer light the contrast between the gloom, the despair, the frustrations and bewilderment of the world, and the radiance, confidence, joy and certitude of His lovers. Lift up your hearts. The Day of God is here.
âUniversal House of Justice, Ridvan 140 (1983)
46. Beloved friends: Do not be dismayed or deterred. Take courage in the security of God's law and ordinances. These are the darkest hours before the break of day. Peace, as promised, will come at night's end. Press on to meet the dawn.
âUniversal House of Justice, Ridvan 150 (1993)
FROM THE WRITINGS OF BAHA'U'LLAH
Baha'u'llah: Tablets of Baha'u'llahÂ
Baha'u'llah: Proclamation of Baha'u'llahÂ
Baha'u'llah: The Kitab-i-AqdasÂ
FROM THE WRITINGS OF 'ABDU'L-BAHA
'Abdu'l-Baha: Paris TalksÂ
'Abdu'l-Baha: Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha
FROM THE WRITINGS OF SHOGHI EFFENDI
Shoghi Effendi: Dawn of a New DayÂ
Shoghi Effendi: The Advent of Divine JusticeÂ
Shoghi Effendi, Unfolding DestinyÂ
Shoghi Effendi: World Order of Baha'u'llah
LETTERS FROM THE UNIVERSAL HOUSE OF JUSTICE
A letter of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of Germany, dated 11 January 1971
Universal House of Justice, Ridvan 140 (1983)Â
Universal House of Justice, Ridvan 141 (1984)Â
Universal House of Justice, Ridvan 143 (1986)Â
Universal House of Justice, Ridvan 144 (1987)Â
Universal House of Justice, Ridvan 145 (1988)
Universal House of Justice, Ridvan 147 (1990)Â
Universal House of Justice, Ridvan 150 (1993)Â
Universal House of Justice, Ridvan 151(1994)Â
Universal House of Justice, Ridvan 152 (1995)
COMPILATIONS AND COLLECTIONS
Compilation of Compilations, Volume 2Â
Crisis and VictoryÂ
Power of Divine Assistance